Routine Ad-hoc (R)
Routine maintenance may be defined as those treatments that are applied to a pavement, in order to keep the pavement functioning properly. As such, routine maintenance is sometimes referred to as “reactive maintenance.” This suggests that it is work that is performed as a reaction to a specific distress. Routine maintenance is performed on pavements as they begin to show signs of deterioration, but is generally considered to be a wasted effort on pavements that are severely distressed.
Filling a pothole is an example of a routine maintenance activity:
It cannot be scheduled before the pothole appears and it should not be left unattended once the pothole has developed. However, if there are too many potholes present, a more comprehensive repair may be needed. In addition to pothole repair, routine maintenance treatments applied to pavements include edge patching, crack sealing and filling, and shoulder repair. Routine maintenance works are divided into the following works types:
- NON PAVEMENT (N): These include all the activities that are accomplished outside of the road surface, like clearing side drains & culverts, vegetation control, line-marking, road signs repair, guard rail repair, etc.
- PAVEMENT (P): These are works responding to minor pavement defects caused by a combination of traffic and environmental effects, for example, crack sealing, patching, edge repair; shoulders re-gravelling and grading.
Routine Opérations (O)
Routine operations may be defined as those activities that are conducted on an annual basis to ensure that the road is functioning properly. Routine Operations is not only limited to pavement related treatments, but also include other operational activities. Routine operation works are divided into the following works types:
- NON TOLL (N): These include all the operational activities that are accomplished on non-toll roads.
- TOLL (T): These include all the operational activities that are accomplished on non-toll roads.
- TUNNEL (U): These include all the operational activities that are accomplished on tunnels.